|March 6, 1856|
Maryland Agricultural College chartered.
Site selected, 420 acres of Charles Benedict Calvert's Riverdale
plantation; purchase price $21,400.
In 1858, landowner Charles
Benedict Calvert issues stock certificates to
help launch Maryland Agricultural College, the forerunner of the
University of Maryland.
Hallowell (1799-1877) was president of the Maryland Agricultural
College from 1859 to 1860.
October 6, 1859
Opening day and formal dedication of the Maryland Agricultural College;
Joseph Henry, head of the Smithsonian Institution is speaker; 34 students enrolled; among them are the four sons of Charles Benedict Calvert: George, Charles, William and Eugene.
Work Scott (1807-1879) elected president of Maryland Agricultural
M. Colby served as president from 1860--1861.
Onderdonk (d. 1895) was president from 1861 to 1864.
July 11, 1862
First degrees awarded.
President Lincoln signs the Morrill Land Grant Act providing federal
support for state colleges to teach agriculture, mechanical arts and
Maryland legislature votes to accept Morrill grant.
April 24, 1864
Worthington, a magazine editor and professor, was acting president
from 1864 to 1867.
Gen. Ambrose E. Burnside and 6,000 men of the
Union's Ninth Army Corps, en route to joining Gen. Ulysses S. Grant in
Virginia, camp on the college grounds.
July 11, 1864
As part of
the Jubal Early's Confederate raid on Washington, Gen. Bradley T. Johnson
and 400 men spend the night on the college grounds.
College is bankrupt; becomes a preparatory school.
Legislature appropriates money for half ownership; college becomes, in
part, a state institution.
Custis Lee (1832-1913), the son of Robert E. Lee and a former major
general on Jefferson Davis's personal staff, is appointed president. He is
replaced that same year by Charles L.C.
College reopens with 11 students.
Buchanan (1800-1874) is president from 1868 to 1869.
Register, a Methodist minister and graduate of St. John's College, is
Enrollment steady at about 100 students; debts paid off.
a graduate of West Point and former Confederate major general, serves as
president until 1875.
Military training emphasized; in 15 years only 38 students graduate.
Parker (1826-1896) is president from 1875-1882. Parker, a New Yorker
who was first in his class at the Naval Academy, served as captain in the
Confederate navy, and founded the Confederate Naval Academy in
J. Smith, a former sugar factor from Virginia, president
from 1882 to 1887, focuses on public relations activities, trying to build
support and loyalty among farmers, students and the members of the state
Hatch Act creates federally funded agricultural experiment stations; the trustees offer the college farm and Rossborough Inn for that purpose.
Augustine Smith resigns. Allen Dodge, a local planter, serves briefly as
E. Alvord (1844-1904) is hired as both director of the new,
Experiment Station and as the
The first Korean to earn a degree at a U.S. college, Pyon Su was killed by a train shortly after graduating from Maryland Agricultural College. He is buried in nearby Beltsville.
Series of state laws give college many powers: control of farm disease, state weather bureau, state geological survey, inspection of feeds, board of forestry and others, some of which are later separated from the school.
The college's first recorded intercollegiate athletic competitions were baseball games against St. John's College and the Naval Academy. (However, students had been playing baseball since the time of the Civil War.)
Second Morrill Act provides direct federal funding for technical education "without distinction of race or color."
W. Silvester (b. 1857) serves as president from 1892
until 1912, when he resigns after a
fire destroys the main and the new administration
January 8, 1897
First fraternity established on campus, Phi Sigma Kappa, chapter Eta.
Morrill Hall, oldest academic building still in use, built for about $24,000.
Wright brothers lay out nearby College Park Airport.
November 29, 1912
A fire begun at a Thanksgiving Dance destroys every dormitory, half of the classrooms and offices and most of the college records; the loss appraised at $250,000. Miraculously, there were no injuries or deaths.
Richard Silverstor resigns. Thomas H. Spence (1867-1937), a professor of
languages, serves briefly as
J. Patterson (1866-1948), a graduate of Pennsylvania State
College, director of the
Maryland Agricultural Experiment
Station is appointed
Smith-Lever Act encourages land-grant colleges to establish home economics courses.
State takes over full control of college, changes name to Maryland State College.
First women students enrolled.
F. Woods (1866-1948) is named president. During his tenure as
president, Woods creates seven
schools, each with its own dean: agriculture, engineering, arts and
chemistry, education, home
economics and the graduate school.
Chun-Jun C. Chen, of Shanghai, entered Maryland as its first Chinese student. All four of his sons attended the University of Maryland as well.
College organized into seven schools; Agriculture, Engineering, Arts and Sciences, Chemistry, Education, Home Economics and Graduate School (including Summer School); preparatory school abolished.
Sigma Delta is first sorority to be recognized.
April 9, 1920
Consolidation of University of Maryland links College Park and Baltimore campuses; Albert F. Woods, incumbent College Park president, becomes president of the new University of Maryland.
First woman receives a bachelor's degree.
Graduate School awards first Ph.D. degrees; of a total of 517 students, 20 are women.
Student newspaper named the Diamondback.
Dean of Women Adele Stamp saw the number of women students grow from 103 in 1922 to 3,618 the year she retired, 1960. Today, the Student Union bears her name.
The men's lacrosse team earned its first national title, a title they would win 10 more times over the course of the next seven decades.
University granted accreditation by the Association of American Universities.
A. Pearson is president of the university. His main contribution to
Maryland was a greatly expanded physical
plant, both in Baltimore and
College Park, with 13 buildings added, as
well as additional acreage.
Many residence halls and classroom buildings constructed; enrollment increases from 2,000 students in 1935 to 3,500 in 1940 and nearly 5,000 by 1945.
C. "Curley" Byrd is appointed acting university
president on June 28, 1935; on Feb. 21, 1936, he is named president. A
1908 graduate of the Maryland Agricultural College
with a B.S. in engineering, Byrd
began his 43-year
career at the University of
Maryland with a temporary
two-week stint coaching football in
1911. He taught
English and history, was athletic
director, and served
as an assistant to Raymond Pearson
Enrollment increases to 9,792 students under GI Bill; three-fourths of the students live off campus.
First African American graduate student enrolls at College Park.
First African American undergraduate student, Hiram Whittle, enrolls at College Park.
B. Symons (1881-1970) is
of the university.
H. Elkins serves as university president. At the University of
Maryland, Elkins emphasizes basic
subjects and strict academic
standards. In 1957, he
unveils the Academic Probation
subjects 1,550 students -- 18
percent of the
undergraduate enrollment -- to
their averages fell to below a C.
Fourteen percent are
sent home. By 1964, 82 percent of
freshmen come from the top
half of their high school classes,
and Phi Beta Kappa --which turned down Maryland
twice before--establishes a chapter.
September 23, 1955
College Park Senate officially established. A faculty governing body had been in place at Maryland as early as 1923.
McKeldin Library completed.
Phi Beta Kappa chapter established.
Tawes Fine Arts Building constructed.
Edwin Bishop is first chancellor of the College Park campus.
W. Dorsey is named acting chancellor.
L. Gluckstern serves as chancellor.
E. Kirwan is interim chancellor.
B. Slaughter is chancellor.
College Park enrollment reaches 38,679, the highest in its history.
July 1, 1988
The five University of Maryland campuses reorganized with the six Board of Trustees institutions to form a University of Maryland System; College Park is designated the flagship university of the new system. The title of chancellor is changed to president
The university establishes its own alumni association to serve approximately 163,000 alumni.
E. Kirwan serves as president of the university.
First students enter College Park Scholars program.
The College of Engineering is renamed the A. James Clark School of Engineering, in honor of its 1950 alumnus and benefactor.
University breaks ground for a new center for the performing arts.
The Robert H. Smith School of Business bears the name of its alumnus and benefactor.
April 22, 1999
Artist and benefactor Clarice Smith, wife of Robert H. Smith '50, gives a generous gift to the new performing arts center slated to open in 2000. The center will be named in her honor.
April 23, 1999
Clayton Daniel (Dan) Mote, Jr.
inaugurated as the 32nd president of the University of Maryland.
September 1-October 31, 2010
Provost Nariman Farvardin served as acting president. Dr. Wallace Loh will be President of the University of Maryland on November 1st.
October 4, 2010
The College of Chemical and Life Sciences is integrated with the College of Computer, Mathematical, and Physical Sciences to form the College of Computer, Mathematical, and Natural Sciences.
November 1, 2010
Wallace D. Loh became the 33rd president of the University of Maryland.